Here’s All You Need To Know About Dental Crowns
Do you want a dental crown near you? At Same-Day Crowns in St.Cloud, MN, you can get a dentist near you for this. In this article, we will discuss all the details about dental crowns.
A dental crown is a ‘cap’ in the form of a tooth placed over damaged teeth. In other words, a tooth-shaped cap is worn over teeth to protect them from further damage or restore their integrity. They are also used to improve appearance. When a dental crown is in place, it can cover the whole portion of the tooth above the gumline. They are designed using materials that match your teeth, and this them unnoticeable. Why do people need dental crowns? What kinds are there? What’s the average cost of getting one? We will answer all these. Let’s dive right in.
Why Do People Need Dental Crowns?
There are several reasons. A crown is used to protect a weak and decaying tooth from disintegration or hold parts of a cracked one together. If a tooth is already broken or worn down, a crown can replace it altogether; if a cavity is too large for a filling, a crown fit right in. A crown can be used by a dentist near you in St.Cloud to hold a dental bridge in place. A dentist in Sartell, MN, can put in a dental crown before fixing a tooth implant if you’re missing a tooth. A crown can cover misshapen and discolored teeth.
For children with a high risk of tooth decay will benefit from a crown. If decay has set in extensively that the tooth can’t hold a filling, a crown can help.
What Are The Types Of Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are grouped into two categories. The first is based on the type of material used in making the crown. The other category is based on durability, either temporary or permanent. Based on the materials, we have:
- Stainless Steel: They are used as a primary measure to protect against further damage. Hence, a dentist in St Cloud, MN, can use a stainless steel crown to protect a tooth or filling. After a permanent crown is made, it can be removed. In children, a stainless steel crown is used to guard primary teeth against further decay. Permanent teeth replace the primary teeth, which come out naturally with the crown.
- Metal: Crowns made of metals are very durable. The metals include alloys of gold, chromium, platinum, nickel, and cobalt. Metal crowns stand out and are best for out-of-sight molars. But, people also get them in conspicuous places.
- All-ceramic and All-porcelain Crowns: These are your best bet for crowns that match your tooth appearance. Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns are also great in this aspect. They’re also a great choice for long bridges.
- All-Resin Crowns: They’re the least expensive of all. They’re also the least durable.
Before selecting the material to use for your crown, your dentist in St Cloud, MN, will consider some factors. These include the tooth’s location, the color of surrounding teeth, and how much natural tooth is left. The position of the gum and the extent to which the tooth appears when you smile are also considered. Of course, your personal preferences come first. Based on durability, we have:
- Temporary crowns: They are typically made of stainless steel or acrylic-based materials in the dentist’s office. They stand in place until a permanent crown is made for you.
- Permanent crowns: They are made in dental laboratories. The temporary crown is removed to fit the permanent one during your next appointment.
Sometimes, a dentist near you can suggest an onlay or 3/4 crown to cover a portion of the tooth if you don’t need a full one. Using Computer-Aided Manufacturing(CAM), it is now possible to get your crown at your first appointment.
What Is The Cost Of Getting A Dental Crown?
The cost can range from $800 to $1700 per crown, and this depends on your location and the type of material used. At Same-Day Crowns in St.Cloud, MN, you will get great services at pocket-friendly costs. Check with your health or dental insurance company as some parts of the cost are covered by insurance.